About our School
St Edmund’s Catholic Primary School first opened its doors in 1939. In the early days, the school was administered by the Sisters of Mercy and many ex-pupils will remember the sisters and staff who helped form their early and lasting memories of school life.
Additions to the buildings have ensured that the school can cater for the ever-growing number of children wanting to come through our doors. We are proud of our growth and upgrades and in particular our nursery which enables us to cater for two classes of twenty-six pre-school aged children.
We are a warm and friendly school with a strong sense of community, family and excellent links to our parish. We believe that by working together, (parents/carers, teachers and governors), we can help our children become life-long learners and confident individuals. We want them all to be able to make positive contributions to the world in which we live. Our past pupils and current parents are a testimony to this.
St Edmund’s teaches respect, tolerance and kindness to others whilst celebrating the unique and individual talents of all.
Today our school welcomes families of all faiths and beliefs who are ready to embrace our Catholic ethos and values which are embedded throughout all aspect of school life. It is a wonderful place to learn and grow and we welcome you to our community.
Key features of St Edmund's Catholic Primary School and Nursery
- A solid foundation in the Catholic faith
- A nurturing, happy and caring nursery and school where children settle very quickly
- A good school with a rich and varied curriculum where attainment exceeds the national average significantly
- Experienced, dedicated and skilled teachers and support staff
- Dedicated, specialist staff (e.g. Music, French, Art, PE and Learning Support)
- Excellent facilities (large playing fields, separate playgrounds for children of different age groups)
- Innovative approaches to teaching and learning eg Maths Mastery and Thinking Skills
- On-site breakfast and after-school clubs
- An active Parents' Association which fund raises for additional facilities for our children and stages many social events